Posts for tag: Metal Braces
Who wouldn’t want to have healthy teeth and a straight smile? Unfortunately, having those isn’t entirely under our control. Sometimes genetics gets in the way and you have less than perfectly aligned teeth to deal with. The good news for you is that you can decide to do something about it by choosing to have either traditional braces or going after Invisalign treatment. Which is the better choice?
Although a thorough assessment by your dentist here at Omni Dental in San Diego, CA, Dr. Daniel Stevens, Dr. Christina Tsang, or Dr. Vahid Tabibzadeh, can confirm whether Invisalign or traditional braces will work for you, meanwhile, here are things you should know about these orthodontic treatments to help you decide.
Both of these orthodontic treatments are intended to give you straighter teeth and better oral health. The major difference is in the process of how they achieve the goal. Traditional braces rely on metal attachments placed on the teeth's surface. With the help of metal wires and rubber bands connected to the brackets, the teeth will be manipulated to get them in the right position.
The Invisalign treatment, on the other hand, relies on customized aligners that are generated from computer imaging technology. The clear aligners fit perfectly over your teeth and allow subtle movements of the teeth until they are finally corrected.
Essential Facts on Invisalign
- It allows you to remove the trays any time you like so there is no fear of having food stuck in your teeth.
- You can eat and drink almost anything that you want.
- Since the trays are made from clear materials, no one will notice that you are undergoing treatment to straighten your teeth.
- You maintain the natural appearance of your teeth and mouth.
- The absence of brackets and metal objects makes Invisalign more comfortable and protects you from having mouth sores or accidentally injuring your teeth and gums.
- When worn properly for 22 to 24 hours daily, treatment time can be anywhere from six to 18 months depending on the condition of your teeth.
- You have the option of cleaning your trays using the Invisalign cleaning system or by simply brushing and rinsing it in lukewarm water.
- You will only need to visit your dentist in San Diego, CA, every four to six weeks to switch to the next Invisalign tray.
Basic Facts on Traditional Braces
- Braces stay in place so there is no danger of losing your dental appliance or misplacing it.
- The average treatment time is two years since the braces are worn all the time, but actual time can still vary.
- You can brush and floss your teeth even with the metal braces installed.
- You are required to visit your dentist every month for checkups and adjustments of the wires.
- You are required to wear a retainer after the treatment to preserve the results.
- Ideal for patients with complex dental issues.
To Determine If You Qualify for Invisalign or Traditional Braces, Call Us
Dial (619) 224-5000 to arrange an evaluation with one of our dentists, Dr. Daniel Stevens, Dr. Christina Tsang, or Dr. Vahid Tabibzadeh, here at Omni Dental in San Diego, CA.