Posts for tag: Wisdom Teeth Extraction
The Reasons Why Most Wisdom Teeth Need Removal
Your wisdom teeth are the last set of molars to appear. This usually happens during your late teens or early twenties. Although they can be oral allies if they are evenly aligned, wisdom teeth can cause a problem if they are misaligned. Dr. Daniel Stevens and his team at Omni Dental located in San Diego, CA can advise you on wisdom teeth removal.
When You Need Wisdom Teeth Removal
If your wisdom teeth have grown in fully, they are healthy and aligned correctly, you probably won’t need to have them removed. But they will need removing if:
- They have not completely emerged from your gums and are trapped within your jaw
- They have partially emerged from your gums but are difficult to clean
- They do not have enough room and are compressing nearby teeth
This is the time when San Diego residents visit Dr. Stevens for wisdom teeth removal. You will also need them removed if they cause pain, become infected, or become decayed.
Wisdom Teeth Extraction
You may have one or more wisdom teeth removed surgically. Depending on how complex the extraction surgery is, you will be given a local anesthetic, a sedative anesthetic, or a general anesthetic. During the procedure your dental surgeon will:
- Make a small incision in your gum
- remove bone that is covering the root
- remove the tooth
- clean the site
- stitch the wound if necessary
- pack the wound site with gauze to inhibit bleeding and promote healing
After the surgery, you should rest for 24 hours, drink plenty of water, and eat only liquid foods. You should avoid drinking with a straw for at least seven days as sucking may draw the healing blood clot from the wound site. If you have stitches, they should dissolve in 2-3 weeks.
If you’re having problems with your wisdom teeth and you live in San Diego, call Dr. Stevens on 619-224-5000.